Academic Issues

Academic Appeals

You may find that you have received a letter from your school informing you of your results and wish to appeal the decision.

All students have the right to appeal against the decision of the Board of Examiners, but you must have grounds of appeal. You cannot for example appeal academic judgement (e.g. if you disagree with the mark that your tutor gave you and felt that it should have been higher). You can find more details of the University policy on appeals on the University website.

If you are thinking of submitting an appeal and wish some assistance in completing the form, please do not hesitate to contact the Advice Centre.


All students have the right to complain to the University. Complaints could be related to any academic or non-academic service provided by the University. Students should attempt to resolve any complaint informally within 14 days of the most recent event or cause for complaint.

The Advice Centre can offer independent support and advice to individuals and groups of students who wish to complain. You can find out about the University's complaints policy on the University website.

Academic Misconduct

The Students’ Union can provide support if you are being investigated for academic misconduct. 

Academic misconduct refers to plagiarism, collusion, taking unauthorised documents into an exam, contracting another to write a piece of assessed work, etc. The penalties for unfair means can affect your studies. 

The Advice Centre can support you through the process, outline what to expect and help you to prepare for it. You can find out about the University policy on the University website.

PMC form (Personal Mitigating Circumstances)

If a personal situation is affecting your studies or your ability to take an exam, you should submit a PMC form online explaining why you are not attending an exam, not submitting an assessment or submitting an assessment late. You must provide evidence to confirm your situation.

You can contact the Advice Centre to obtain independent advice on how to complete your PMC.

Changing Course

It's not uncommon for students to find that when they start their course they feel that they have chosen the wrong one.

If you are in this situation, the Advice Centre can help. Just ask!