Common Questions






Where do I pick up my student loan / grant?

You’ll get your student loan or grant after you register on your course at the start of term. Your money will be deposited directly into your bank account after the University sends Student Finance England confirmation of your attendance. You should look at Student Finance on the GOV.UK website to find out the best way to apply for this.

What if I’m still experiencing financial difficulties despite having received my loan and grant?

You should contact the askUS desk in University House. You may be eligible for help through the Salford Support fund. Priority is given to students with children, disabled students, those who have left care and final year students. To find out more look at the Salford Support fund on the askUS website or email

Where can I get relevant information and advice to renew my visa?

AskUS has trained specialist advisers, who are compliant with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner. They are the appropriate source for information and advice on visa and immigration matters. You can read all the relevant information on the askUS website but if you have any further queries you can contact

How can I meet other international students as well as other students? Is there any support available?

If you want to meet other international students you may be interested in the following:

  • International Café is a free weekly get-together hosted by askUS and the Students Union, which is open to all students. Every Wednesday evening students are invited to come along to the Students' Union's Activities Hub in University House to meet people from different cultures and play games including cards, chess, table tennis and table football. Free tea, coffee and refreshments are provided and each week the Café has a different theme so you can enjoy a different activity each week.
  • The International Society - You can book onto a variety of trips and events
  • HOST
  • Join a student activity group or take part in our Give Sport A Go programme. This is a great way to meet people with similar interests and hobbies.

Alternatively pop into University House and ask to speak to one of the Student Activities team.

What if I have an issue which affects my studies?

You should try to speak to your personal tutor in the first instance and let them know about it. It may be that you have Personal Mitigating Circumstances (PMC) and need to submit a form with your assignment (this must be completed online). There is an academic adviser in the Students' Union Advice Centre who you can speak to. If it is an issue which is affecting more people than just you, you may want to contact your student representative.

What do I do if I need to make an Academic Appeal or I am asked to withdraw from my course?

Contact the Students' Union Advice Centre in University House and speak to the academic adviser as soon as possible. You can only submit an appeal once you have received your official notification of marks from the Board of Examiners. You have 10 working days in which to submit an appeal.

What do I do if I think I have chosen the wrong course?

As soon as possible, try to speak to your programme leader and / or seek advice from the academic adviser in the Advice Centre. The Careers and Employability Service will also be able to support you through this process. Remember, if you receive a student loan you should also let Student Finance England know about any changes to your course.

If I make a complaint will it affect my marks or will my tutor treat me differently?

It shouldn’t affect either your marks or the way the member of staff treats you. If you are intimidated in any way speak to someone in the Students’ Union Advice Centre.

Where do I get my Council Tax Exemption Certificate?

Your council tax exemption form will be sent to your Salford student email account during the first week of term. If you have not received it please check with a member of the staff at the askUS desk in University House.

Where should I go if I'm having problems with my University accommodation?

If you are living in Peel Park Quarter, Bramall Court, John Lester or Eddie Colman you can speak to either speak to the resident life officers, the Union’s community officer or the residence representative for your block.

Where can I find suitable private housing?

The University of Salford works with Manchester Student Homes to assist students to find accommodation. Manchester Stundent Homes specialises in student accommodation and deals with reputable letting agencies and landlords in the Salford and Manchester areas. You can find more information on the accommodation section of their website or by emailing for advice.

What can I do if I am having problems with my landlord?

Depending on what the problem is, you can either contact the Advice Centre, Manchester Student Homes directly at, your nearest Citizens Advice bureau or Shelter.

Where is the University Health Centre?

The Health Centre is located on the 3rd floor in Maxwell Building. The centre is open during term time Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm, and from 9:00am to 1:00pm out of term time. You can register with this practice or with any other NHS practice closer to where you live.

Can I get help with the costs of prescriptions as a student?

Full time students under the age of 19 do not have to pay prescription charges. You just need to complete a HNC1 claim form which is available from your Doctor's Surgery or the askUS Advice Desk in University House. If you are over 19 and on a low income you may be able to get help with healthcare costs. You can find out more about the low income scheme on the NHS website.

Where can I get counselling?

Speak to someone on the askUS helpdesk located in University House.