Sexual Harassment

Zero ToleranceThe Students' Union operates a zero tolerance approach to all forms of sexual harassment and inappropriate behaviour.

What is sexual harassment?

Sexual harassment is not just about physical touching or groping - the term can also be applied to any unwanted and persistent behaviour of a sexual nature.

Sexual harassment therefore includes but is not limited to:

  • Unwanted sexual comments (including comments about someone’s body or private life).
  • Unwelcome sexual invitations, innuendos, and offensive gestures.
  • Wolf whistling, catcalling, or offensive sexual noises.
  • Groping, pinching or smacking someone’s body.
  • Tugging, pulling or lifting up someone’s clothing.
  • Exposure of sexual organs.
  • Demands for sexual acts/favours.
  • Stalking.

We believe that everyone has a duty to challenge sexual harassment and that everyone has a responsibility to make our Union a safe space for all students. If we ignore sexual harassment, we are complicit in it.

The Union has committed to running mandatory zero tolerance training to all staff, student reps and committee members.  We aim to extend this training to as many students as possible during the academic year 2015/16.

How does the Students’ Union deal with cases of sexual harassment?

The Union takes a firm Zero Tolerance stance towards any form of sexual harassment and this means that we will not tolerate it in any of our spaces or at any of our events. Anyone who commits any form of sexual harassment will be immediately removed from our premises and may be disciplined for their actions. We will always take reports and concerns of sexual harassment and assault extremely seriously, always believing the word of those who have been harassed and/or those who are survivors of assault. We will deal with such incidences confidentially and as quickly as possible.

If you experience sexual harassment whilst at the Union or Union-run events

You can report the incident(s) to any member of Union staff and they will take the details of the perpetrator and they will immediately be removed from the building. Staff will also inform you as to how to follow up on the complaint.

Who can I contact for support?

  • You can contact the Union’s Advice Centre where an advisor will let you know how to follow up with complaints and can direct you to both internal and external support services. If you feel comfortable meeting in person, please feel free to stop by the Advice Centre’s offices in University House. You can also ring or email to speak with an advisor by phoning 0161 351 5400 or emailing
  • In some circumstances you may wish to contact the police, in an emergency call 999 or in a non-emergency situation call 101. You can also visit your local police station (you may wish to take a friend, partner or member of your family with you for support).
  • In cases of rape we would encourage you to seek support from Rape Crisis (for women and girls) or Survivors UK (for men and boys).
  • The Samaritans helpline is completely confidential and open 24 hours a day. Call 08457 90 90 90.